As part of its strategy towards energy use, Morocco gives priority to developing renewable energy and sustainable development. With abundant solar resources (a potential of 2 600 kWh/m²/year) and a strategic position at the heart of an energy hub (Connexion with Spanish Network through two electric lines 400kV/700 MW), Morocco offers a wide range of investment opportunities in the sector of thermal and photovoltaic solar energy, including the launch of the following structuring programs:
The Moroccan Project of Solar Energy:
This integrated development project aims to set up in 2020 a capacity of electricity production driven from solar energy with a total capacity of 2000 MW in five major sites: Ouarzazate, Ain Bni Mathar, Foum Al Oued, Boujdour and Sebkhat Tah.
The two technologies -Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) and Photovoltaic- are designated to be used in these stations. This program will increase by 14% the role of solar energy in total electricity capacity by 2020 and prevent the emission of 3.7 million tons of CO² per year.
Development Program of the Moroccan market for solar water heaters (PROMASOL): This program involves the installation of 440,000 m2 of thermal solar sensors in 2012 and 1.7 million m2 in 2020. In terms of thermal energy produced annually, these figures will correspond to 1190 GWh by 2020. This program will avoid the emission of 920,000 tons of CO² per year and create 920 permanent jobs.
Both plans were designed to fall under the criteria of a Clean Development Mechanism.
As part of its strategy towards energy use, Morocco has undertaken a vast wind energy program, to support the development of renewable energy and energy efficiency in the country. The Moroccan Integrated Wind Energy Project, spanning over a period of 10 years with a total investment estimated at 31.5 billion dirhams, will enable the country to bring the installed capacity, from wind energy, from 280 MW in 2010 to 2000 MW in 2020.
The development of 1720 MW of new wind energy farms are planned as follow:
- 720 MW under development in Tarfaya (300 MW), Akhfenir (200 MW), Bab El Oued-Laayoune (50 MW), Haouma (50 MW) and Jbel Khalladi (120 MW)
- 1000 MW planned in 5 new sites chosen for their great potential: Tanger2 (150 MW), El BaidaKoudia in Tetouan (300 MW), Taza (150 MW), Tiskrad Laayoune (300 MW) and Boujdour (100 MW).
The objectives of the wind energy program are:
- Increase the share of wind power in the national energy balance to 14% by 2020
- Achieve a production capacity from wind power of 2 GW and annual production capacity of 6600 GWh, corresponding to 26% of current electricity generation
- Save annually 1.5 million tons of fuel, matching the sum of 750 million U.S. dollars, and prevent the emission of 5.6 million tonnes of CO2 per year.